Tired of riding the same old mountain bike on the same old trails? A standard mountain bike can only take you so far and only on so many adventures.
If you are looking to advance your riding…there’s another option. If you want to go on new adventures, see new scenery, and have more fun, then it may be time to make a switch.
It may be time to make a switch over to an Electric Mountain Bike, eMTB for short. So, if you are ready, or even if you’re on the fence, I suggest you take advantage of this guide and keep reading. As you read on you will learn what all you need to know for choosing the best bike for YOU and a list of the top 5 bikes to choose from.
And when it’s all said and done…I’ll see you on the trails!
Table of Contents
- How to Choose the Best Electric Mountain Bike
- The 10 Best Electric Mountain Bikes to Buy in 2018 – Reviews and Comparison
- 1. Specialized Turbo Levo FSR Comp 6Fattie 2018 – Best Choice for New Technology
- 2. Pivot Shuttle e-MTB – Best Choice for A Lightweight Feel
- 3. Trek Powerfly 7 FS Plus – Best Choice for A Smooth Ride
- 4. Ancheer Folding Electric Mountain Bike – Best Choice for Shopping On A Budget
- 5. Ego Bike 500w Electric Mountain Bicycle – Best Choice for Light Trails Or Roads
How to Choose the Best Electric Mountain Bike
When you first begin choosing an electric mountain bike, things can get confusing. It’s not that the concept of an eMTB is hard to grasp, it’s just there’s many different brands, styles, and prices. The extensive options to choose from makes it difficult to find the best bike for YOU.
I’m sure I don’t have to tell you how important it is to find a bike that meets your own individual riding needs. Plus, as we all do, you want to make sure you get the best value for your money.
If you don’t know already, an electric mountain bike is a mountain bike with electronic assistance. There is an electric motor connected to the bike, and when you switch it ‘ON’, it will assist you with pushing the pedals.
Pretty awesome right?
So, as you can image, with this boost in power, you can ride on tougher trails and climb higher mountains.
You can even adjust it based on how much exercise you want that day. That’s because there are different levels of motor assistance depending on your desired level of power. Or just turn the motor off entirely and just ride.
That’s the basic idea of an electric mountain bike. If you didn’t already, you now have a brief understanding of how an electric mountain bike works.
So, time to pick one out…right? Well, not quite yet.
First, you should understand exactly what to look for when choosing your bike, starting with the different types of groups.
The 10 Best Electric Mountain Bikes to Buy in 2018 – Reviews and Comparison
1. Specialized Turbo Levo FSR Comp 6Fattie 2018 – Best Choice for New Technology
If you are looking for an electric mountain bike who’s trail performance is just as impressive as its technology and durability, then here it is! It’s called the Specialized Turbo Levo FSR Comp 6Fattie, and it’s most likely the bike for you. The word “Fattie” in the title refers to the bikes extra wide tires. They provide excellent traction and suspension. Better handling and a smoother ride also come with fattie tires. Add that to its extra short chainstay and lower bottom bracket, and this electric mountain bike provides a nimble and firm ride too.
Since you will buy this bike for its electric technology, its essential to buy one with a powerful motor. Well, this bike comes with a quiet electric motor that puts out 530 watts of power! That’s in addition to the force you create by pedaling. So what does that mean for you? How does climbing up your next trail with nearly no effort sound? With a powerful electric motor, you can see more, explore more, and go on more adventures. Not to mention the battery swap is super easy and convenient.
A few extra features to mention is the Mission Control APP for trail display and ride metrics as well as the M5 Premium Aluminum frame. It’s not the cheapest electric bike on the market, but if you are looking for the best bike, with the best technology, and the best warranty, then you will find it here.
- Newest technology so you will have the best ride that you can have with an electric mountain bike.
- It’s Mission Control APP lets you track ride metrics to make your ride the most efficient, oh… and you can track a little exercise too.
- Its premium aluminum frame keeps the bike stable and sturdy but lightweight at the same time.
- Fat tires provide extra suspension for riding on technical trails to prevent a sore body.
- This high-quality bike naturally comes at a high price.
- Can not buy it directly from the manufacturer so you must locate your nearest distributor.
2. Pivot Shuttle e-MTB – Best Choice for A Lightweight Feel
The Pivot Shuttle e-MTB claims to be the lightest eMTB not just in its class…but in the world! Mountain bikes are super convenient and fun. But remember…these pleasures do not come without extra weight. But, if you decide on giving this bike a try, you get the light weight of a standard mountain bike but in electric. Not a bad deal for a full suspension electric mountain bike. That fact is this–when a bike is uniquely designed with a full carbon frame, and an integrated battery, it’s going to feel super light.
Plus, you’ll even notice how well it carves tight turns on the trails and how smooth the pedaling feels when you’re not using the motor. Unlike other bikes, when you shut off the motor, this bike rides quick and smooth. That even goes for taller riders because this bike sizes up to riders at the height of 6’7”! This makes it one of, if not THE best-sized eMTB’s on the market.
A few other features worth mentioning is its 140mm of acclaimed dw‐link® rear suspension and 27.5” stocked tires. If you are looking for an electric mountain bike that’s ride is just as superior as it’s lightweight nature, then this is the bike for you.
- Comes with a 10-year frame warranty from the manufacturer which provides peace of mind.
- It’s the lightest electric mountain bike on the market, so you get a quick and smooth ride whether the motor is on or not.
- Its Fox 36 fork and custom-valved DPX 2 shock and wide tires provide excellent suspension for even the most technical of terrain.
- You can ride with up to 29” tires (stocked with 27.5”)
- High priced so make sure you are dedicated to the eMTB lifestyle.
3. Trek Powerfly 7 FS Plus – Best Choice for A Smooth Ride
Do you want an electric mountain bike that rides fast? What about one you can take on off-road adventures? If you answered yes to either one of those questions, then give the Trek Powerfly 7 FS Plus a try. Not only is it designed by one of the most reputable bike manufacturers in the world, but the ride is like no other e-MTB you’ve ever felt.
The full RockShox suspension is one of it’s best features. A suspension like this will allow you to use its pedal-assist system to it’s fullest potential. So, instead of backing off forces that trails tend to create, you can rip through them with confidence.
Here’s the thing–Treks bike design has been perfected over the past decade. So you know when you are buying this bike you are purchasing excellence that riders have enjoyed using for a long time.
And even when the trails get really rough, and no suspension can help, that’s where their 27.5” tires come in. With this extra traction and stability, you’ll ride with CONFIDENCE. So much that other riders may mistake you for having years of riding under your belt, even if it’s your first time out.
- Superior suspension allows you to ride with confidence taking you on trails you’ve never considered riding on before. That means new adventures and bigger mountains.
- It’s high-quality Bosch motor takes you to speeds up to 20 mph! It’s not only fast but it’s made by Bosch, one of the best motor/parts company’s in the world. Yes, your car probably has a Bosch part on it right now.
- When you turn down the assistance, it turns into a powerful trail bike. So whether the motor is on or not, you can have confidence in your ride.
- Some riders have noticed a battery rattle against the bike when on tough terrain.
4. Ancheer Folding Electric Mountain Bike – Best Choice for Shopping On A Budget
Here is your best low-cost option when it comes to shopping for electric mountain bikes. Its called the Ancheer Folding Electric Mountain Bike, and yes, it does just that — FOLD. With its adjustments, you can fold this bike in half and store it away or throw it in the back seat of your car without a problem. One of its best features is its ultra-lightweight feel. That’s due to its strong, anti-rust, aluminum alloy frame. If you are riding in full E-bike mode, you can expect to get about 15 ½ miles (25km) with its large capacity lithium battery. But if you ride it in assist mode, where you use the battery but pedal also, you can expect about 31 miles. But remember, when an electric bike loses its charge, you can still pedal without interference. Plus, it comes with a fast charging feature where you can be back up with power in as little as 4 hours. Not bad for a low-cost option.
Now, we could get into all the other features like handlebars, brakes, and suspension, but they are all about average. To sum it up, this is a decent bike at a great price. So if you are looking to get into e-MTB riding, and want to do so on a budget, then this is the bike for you.[img_center img_code=”71D5eiydnxL” alt=”Ancheer Folding Electric Mountain Bike” code=”B01LCZBUGO”]
- Lightweight frame so even if the bike loses a charge you can ride comfortably without to much stress.
- Strong and stable alloy integrated wheels for a smooth and firm ride on the trails.
- Anti-slip resistant thick tires so you can keep riding even when the trails get messy.
- Foldable bike for convenient storage in your home, garage, or car.
- Excellent price for an electric mountain bike.
- Because of its low price you get decent quality parts which don’t last as long as the higher priced bikes.
5. Ego Bike 500w Electric Mountain Bicycle – Best Choice for Light Trails Or Roads
After digging into this bike, here’s my recommendation– if you are looking for a durable electric mountain for very light trails or the road, then this one is for you. The best feature on this bike is how the battery is hidden in the frame. It looks like a standard mountain bike at first glance. No big battery block getting in your way.
Speaking of the electrical aspect of the bike, it can reach speeds of 23.5 mph with its 7-speed gear set. The battery life isn’t bad either. If you’re running full electric, then you can expect about 20 miles from it. And to charge the battery, all you need to do is plug it into the wall. There’s also a large screen display to show your battery life. This same screen displays your distance and speed.
You will notice this bike does not come with big rugged tires like other electric mountain bikes. That’s why it’s a great option for light trails or riding on the road. This makes it ideal for using it to commute and allows you to ride faster than the average electric mountain bike. The frame is an aluminum alloy and weighs in at about 53 lbs. All in all, it’s a decent bike, at a decent price, to do some decent riding.[img_center img_code=”91U1ktv5KSL” alt=”Ego Bike 500w Electric Mountain Bicycle” code=”B0157G4GEM”]
- A battery in the frame, so you don’t have to worry about it rattling or getting in your way while riding.
- Easy to charge, just plug it into the wall.
- Decent price making it a great beginner electric bike.
- Smooth and fast for urban terrain.
- Some find the throttle to have a slow response when picking up speeds.
So, there you have it, a complete guide to finding the best electric mountain bike for YOU. For some of us, standard mountain bike riding is not enough. For some, we need more adventures to take our riding to new levels. Well, by buying an electric mountain bike you will now have that option. You can take on trails you’ve never gone down before. So have fun, go on some adventures, be safe, and… enjoy the ride.